December 17, 2011

The Page 99 Test ~ After Midnight

The Page 99 Test is simple: After reading page 99, would you want to turn the page and keep reading?

Let's have a look at my current release, After Midnight:


  
    His mouth curved. "I guess it was."
    "He loves you, he didn't want to see you waste away."
    His smile faded as he gazed at her. She curled her left hand around his wrist. "What's the matter?"
    "Henry's not a young man any more. I'm worried about him. I could see the last time I spoke with him that his health is failing."
    Without thinking, he slid her hand down and linked her fingers with his. She ached for him, knowing how difficult it was to lose a loved one. "When is the last time you saw him?"
    "Right before I moved to the new house. About six months ago."
    "You should go see him again, once your demo is done."
    "I plan to." He shifted their joined hands, used his free hand to trace the length of her pinky and ring finger. "Your fingers are cold."
    "They always are. They sustained too much damage in the accident."
    "Any nerve damage?"
   "Yes. Not the way you'd think though. They're actually more sensitive than the other fingers." Overly sensitive. The brush of his fingertips sent a shock of electricity up her arm, jolting her already raw nerves. Her body hummed as his warmth began to seep into her hand, then into her bloodstream.
    "It's a miracle you can still play at all," he commented softly.
    Her stomach crawled into her throat. At one point in her life she would have agreed with him, but that time was long past. "I don't play anymore."
    His hand tightened on hers as she tried to pull away. "Because you choose not to."
    "Yes."
    "But you regained the ability, should you ever change your mind."
    She met his gaze. "I won't change my mind."


So what do you think? Would you keep reading?
Want to join in the fun? I'd love to read your page 99.
Post it on your blog and let me know where to find it.



3 comments:

Debra St. John said...

Sarah,

I love the page 99 test!

And I would definitely keep reading based on yours!

Calisa Rhose said...

I've never heard of this test, but I would definitely keep reading to find out why she chooses not to play!

Lil said...

I would certainly continue reading.