March 23, 2013

What Do You Want to Do?

Lately I’ve been hearing a lot about David Morrell and one of his Five Concepts (http://davidmorrell.net/on-writing/five-further-concepts/ ) specifically his concept on Flow. One of David’s suggestions on keeping the flow of our story from our brains to the page is to “develop a relationship with the story, as if it were a person”. David goes on to suggest that the author ‘literally ask the story, “What do you want to do? Where do you want me to go with you? Why are you stalling?”’

I love this advice! I wonder if he had any idea where some of our characters would take us when asked these questions, though? For instance, this is my conversation with Dominic Price, hero of Midnight Heat:

     Sarah: Dominic, where do you want me to go with you?
     Dom: Seriously, luv, you have to ask?
     Sarah: I guess I do. We’re supposed to be moving forward but you’re stalling. Why are you stalling?
     Dom: I could ask you the same thing.
     Sarah: What are you talking about?
     Dom: Becca. Why isn’t she is my bed yet?
     Sarah: Rebecca isn’t one of your groupies, Dominic. You can’t just give her a look, talk to her in that low, sexy accent and have her clothes fall off.
     Dom: I don’t sleep with groupies. Not anymore.
     Sarah: I know.
     Dom: I don’t sleep with anyone. Not since…if you’d just put her in my bed I could show her how much I’ve changed.
     Sarah: Show her you’ve changed and then she’ll welcome you in her bed with open arms.
     Dom: How am I supposed to do that?
     Sarah: You tell me.
     Dom: You’re the writer!
     Sarah: Yes, I am. And you’re going to have to work for this one, Dom. I know that’s new for you, but stalling isn’t helping. Rebecca needs more convincing before she’ll go to bed with you. The past – how much you hurt her – right now that is greater than her desire.
     Dom: Fuck.
     Sarah: Not yet.
     Dom: Bloody hell, you are frustrating!
     Sarah: I love you, too.
     Dom: *shakes head and grins* Fine, let’s get on with this, shall we?

It’s a good thing he’s so handsome.

3 comments:

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

See? Dom is growing already after that little chat. As for when do we allow our characters to have sex, that's a question I struggle with, too. One thing I learned from reading so many Nora Roberts books, her first sex scene in her Harlequins was always betweem page 117 and 125. With larger pubs, it's around the 165 page mark. With mine, it's whenever my characters say it's right.

Anonymous said...

Love this, Sarah. But then again, you know how I feel about Dom. And I agree with Vonnie. My characters tell me when they want to have sex. In She's Got Dibs, I think it's page 50? LOL Tessa's in a waaaay different place then Becca though. Nuff said.

Sarah Grimm said...

It's funny because I was all set to let Dom have his way with Rebecca very early in this book. Then he told me what he did to her (in the past) and that put the brakes on early sex. I mean, NO WAY would she forgive him enough to drop trou right away.