November 22, 2011

Spotlight On...Beth Trissel


Please help me welcome fellow Wild Rose Press author Beth Trissel to Off the Keyboard. Welcome Beth! What surprised you the most when you became a published?

After 12+ years, finally getting published was surreal. And that same spring I was a Golden Heart finalist and won the Linda Howard in the historical category. Wow, all in one. Then I found out about promo…whewwww.

Which comes first, plot or characters?

My stories are very character driven. I must get to know the characters well and listen closely to them for the story to unfold.

It's the same for me. What do you expect from an editor?

My editors (I write for two lines at the Wild Rose, so have two) are wonderful. They help me polish the story and better flesh it out, not to mention catching typos. My work is always stronger when they’re through with it. No, I don’t want to selfpub and manage without them.

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite? 

I have ten published works thus far, both historical and light paranormal. My favorite will always be Native American historical romance Red Bird’s Song, a 2012 EPIC eBook Finalist.

Tell us about your latest release? 

My vintage American Christmas Ghost Story Romance Somewhere the Bells Ring is also very special. It grew out of a vivid dream I had that took place in the old Virginia family home where my father was born and raised and I visited during the holidays—the setting for the story. Somewhere the Bells Ring opens in 1968 during the tumultuous age of hippies, Vietnam, and some of the best darn rock music ever written. That nostalgic era beckoned to me (clamored) as did an earlier one, 1918 and the end of World War One. The ghost isn’t scary—he’s intriguing, and the mysterious gentleman I met in my dream.

Where can we find you on the web?

Facebook
My Website
My Blog
Twitter
Goodreads

What’s next for you?

I turned in a historical romance novel, the next in my colonial frontier trilogy (the sequel to Through the Fire) to my historical editor and am waiting to hear back. Meanwhile, I’m at work on the sequel to Time travel romance Somewhere My Lass and will feature the popular secondary character Fergus.

Is there anything you’d like to ask our readers? 

If you haven’t read any of my stories, why not? *smile*

11 comments:

Sarah Grimm said...

Thanks for visiting with me today, Beth. Somewhere the Bells Ring is on my TBR list. I look forward to reading it!

Rachel Brimble said...

Hi Beth!

Great interview and great admiration for sticking to your dream for 12 years, that's fantastic!

I have just downloaded Into The Lion's Heart but will get to your latest asap.

Best
Rachel x
www.rachelbrimble.com

Beth Trissel said...

Thanks for having me Sarah. You are a dear. At 100 pages it's an easy read. And Racel,thanks so much.

AJ Nuest said...

You know...I really need to get my act together and read a stack of your books, Beth. Somewhere the Bells Ring sounds absolutely wonderful. If only there were two of me -- anyone know any good cloning scientists. If so, give them my email! Great interview, ladies! Definitely adding this book to my TBR pile!!

Beth Trissel said...

Thanks and I hear you. AJ. Sometimes I think I should stop writing and just read.

Mona Risk said...

Great interview, Beth. Somewhere the Bells Ring sound like a lovely romance.

Beth Trissel said...

Thanks so much, Mona.

Susan Macatee said...

In answer to your question, Beth, I love your stories and definitely want this new one! I'm with you as far as self-publishing goes. I've worked with three editors so far, and decided I need them to not only polish up my work, but to give feedback on situations and scenes that are not quite working. A good editor is essential to putting your best work foreward.

Nancy Jardine Author said...

Hi Beth, and Sarah. I liked Fergus in Somewhere My Lass and look forward to his own story.

Beth Trissel said...

Thanks for the enthusiasm and the feedback. Fergus has an unofficial fan club. I can't get over how many readers like him.

Stephanie Burkhart said...

Beth and Sarah, nice interview. Character driven stories are the best because they really involve the reader. Somewhere the Bells Rings sound like a great holdiay story.

Smiles
Steph