November 3, 2011

Welcome Rachel Brimble!

I'm very excited to have to fabulous Rachel Brimble with me at the keyboard today. A fun new twist today, Rachel asked herself questions. Let's see what she has to say, shall we?

Welcome, Rachel!


What surprised you the most when you became a published?


The amount of time needed to promote yourself properly. In this day and age writers cannot expect their publisher to spend time promoting them when they are busy doing their best to survive in a difficult market. I picked up a tip a few weeks ago that transformed the way I think about promo.
What writers need to do in order to stop promo overtaking their precious writing time is simple. Work out every morning how much writing time you have that day and allocate a quarter of it to promo. Not a minute more. If you only have a hour – 15 mins promo. Works for me!

That's great advice! What is your typical day?


I am lucky enough to be at home full time with my two young daughters right now so I have a lot more writing time than I’ve had for awhile. When they are at school, I write every day from 9am to 2.30 pm and then as much as I can between taking them here, there and everywhere and the housework! Throw a couple of dog walks in there too and by 7pm, I’m done…

What do you expect from an editor?


Honesty and encouragement – I have been really fortunate with all my editors in that I’ve learned something from each of them and felt myself grow as a writer under their guidance. If an editor is discouraging or negative, or even blasé about your work, it can really set you back a long way. Do not be afraid to speak up if something doesn’t feel right to you – BUT there is a huge difference between speaking up and arguing.
Be professional at all times.

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

I am coming to the end of novel number nine – Paying The Piper (which I am promoting today!) is novel number six, seven is under submission and eight is with my agent.

My favorite? Ooh, hard! I love all my books because they’ve been special to me in different ways. If I had to name one I suppose The Arrival of Lily Curtis will always be extra special to me because it was my first historical and it has been so well-received, I have to pinch myself. It is still my bestseller and it was released well over eighteen months ago!

Buy it HERE


Congratulations! Tell us about your latest release?

It is a contemporary romance set against the gritty background of the UK’s clubs and pubs. Here’s the blurb:

Nightclub manager Grace Butler is on a mission to buy the pub where her mother's ashes are scattered but the owner wants to sell to anyone but her. And that owner happens to be her father...who has a secret she will do anything to discover.


Social worker and all around good guy Jimmy Betts needs funds to buy a house for three special kids before their care home closes. Time is running out and he's desperate for cash. He agrees to to a one-time 'job' for bad-man Karl Butler.

But in a sudden turn of events, Jimmy finds himself employed by Karl's beautiful, funny and incredibly sexy daughter, Grace. Their lives couldn't be more different, yet one thread binds them: they're both trying to escape the bonds of their fathers. Maybe the only way they'll be free is by being together, instead of alone.

Buy Paying the Piper HERE

What’s next?

My agent has just submitted my next book to several publishers so now it is just a case of the ‘big wait’. To tell you a little bit about the book, it is my first romantic suspense in three years so I am really excited about it. It is set in the fictional UK seaside town of Templeton Cove and if all goes to plan this will be the first in an ongoing series.

Where can readers find you?

Website: www.rachelbrimble.com
Blog: www.rachelbrimble.blogspot.com
Twitter: www.twitter.com/rachelbrimble
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rachel-Brimble/181873201887441

Thanks so much for visiting with me today, Rachel! I wish you much success.
 

23 comments:

AJ Nuest said...

Great interview, Rachel. And great advice about being professional at all times. As a writer who recently added the title of editor to her resume, I cannot tell you the amount of times an author's actions or reactions have shocked the crap out of me. Even at my most frustrated I never imagined throwing a tantrum. It's frustrating enough to make the editor rip up the contract. Yes, make sure your concerns are handled, but please, do so in a professional manner. Publishing is a business, not pre-school. Okay, there. I've said my peace. :-)

Rachel Brimble said...

Thanks for keeping me company, AJ! I can't believe that reaction from an author either - I cannot imagine losing my temper with an editor. Editors are there to help you, not hinder you.

Hmm...if an author feels the need to lash out, they are going to find it pretty hard going in this industry.,,

R x

Calisa Rhose said...

Love the self-interview, Rachel. As AJ said, good advise. Good luck on the two books up for consideration and happy sales all round!

Karen C said...

I also enjoyed the self-interview. I find it sad that we need to remind people in a business relationship to be professional! I've added Paying the Piper to my TBR list - sounds good.

Krissy said...

Great interview. I too was surprised at the amount of self promotion an author is expected to do. I do a little bit everyday also. Your books sound very interesting. Their covers are AWESOME! Good luck!!

Julie Anne Lindsey said...

Great self-interview Rachel LOL What a cute idea! & a HUGE conrats on all your wonderful books!!

Nancy Jardine Author said...

I like your take on the amount of time spent on promo since it does seem to be such a big business with authors these days. Enjoyed your other observations. Good luck with new submissions etc.

Anonymous said...

Great interview! Love the red and black background to the blog!
cheers, Wanita

Patricia J. Esposito said...

I find promotion one of the hardest things to keep up with amid the schedule of working and raising a family, while trying to write. It was good to hear someone say that we should allow a quarter of our writing time. Because I only have an hour to write a day (at most), that leaves fifteen minutes. That left me feeling guilty, but when I think of percentage of time, as you say, it relieves me that I'm getting done what I can!

And yes, editors are there to help! I remember reading about your book before. It's very intriguing. Best of luck with it. And all your upcoming work!

Luanna Stewart said...

Great post, Rachel. You asked yourself some interesting questions, hehe.I too am overwhelmed by the amount of promo that seems to be required/expected. I'll give your 1/4 time allotment a try.

Suzanne G. Rogers said...

Good advice on the promo aspect. I've been consumed because I want my book to do well, and therefore my WIP has suffered.

Rachel Brimble said...

Wow, I take a break for dinner and a bath, come back to find all these lovely visitors. Thank you all so much for stopping by!

With regard to promo, I promise the quarter of your time theory works IF you stick to it. It is so easy to think, "one more blog post/interview won't hurt" but it builds up and before you know, you've added half the word count to your WIP that you hoped for. You have to write something to sell, that's paramount.

Thanks for adding 'Piper' to your TBR lists - SO appreciate you support!

Love Rachel x

Mackenzie Crowne said...

Great advice, Rachel. I'm still learning the ropes of promo, but the voices won't let me steal time from them. So far, promo gets what I can give it. That may change once I'm published instead of soon-to-be. Maybe I'll bookmark this as a reminder. ;-) AS for throwing a fit to an editor - even if you are that narcissistic - that doesn't sound like the way to 'win friends and influence people' to me.

Pat Dale said...

You are so right on the question of promo time! Until I decided to limit the amount of time I took away from writing, my work had fallen off dramatically. I haven't worked out a formula such as yours (maybe I should) but I do my creative work first. When I'm at a stopping point, I'll turn to promo for an hour or so, and then it's back to writing. Works so far.
Good luck with your latest!
PD

~Dana Pratola said...

I know what you mean about promo. It's hard to write when promotion takes up so much time! Blessings =-)

LaVerne Clark said...

I can't believe people act like that towards others - especially to their editors that only have their best interests at heart! Ah well, it takes all sorts doesnt'it?

Since I signed up for NaNo for the first time ever, I've been a lot more disciplined with my writing, promo and internet surfing. Wow! I'm amazed at how much more balanced everything is! Similar to what you're already doing Rachel. Why haven't I done this earlier?? : )

Good luck with the books out there under consideration - and a series too - how exciting!

Beth Trissel said...

Wonderful interview Rachel. I love the cover. Book sounds super too. As for ALL THE promo, AARRGGHH.

Sondrae Bennett said...

Great interview and sounds like a great read. I'd love to know more about the romantic suspense you're querying!

Caroline Clemmons said...

Great interview, Rachel. I try to be professional at all times, whether online or face to face. What's hard is if I just run to the store for milk and bread and feel I have to "put on my professional side" in case I meet someone who knows me or can promote my books. If I rush off with no make up and an old shirt, I always see someone I know and/or miss a promot opportunity. Can't hand someone my card and say, "I know I look grubby now, but, really, I'm a professional writer."

Rachel Brimble said...

Good morning! That is another great promo strategy, Pat. Set yourself a daily word count, reach that, THEN start on promo for the day. Sounds good!

I would NEVER be rude to an editor, ever - there are ways of getting your point across without being rude or obnoxious. It will do you no favors!

Hi Sondrae, can't tell you anymore about the book at this stage. I am under a strict confidentiality agreement, lol! ;)

R x

Sarah Grimm said...

Rachel-

It's been wonderful having you as a guest! I've been an absentee host, I know. My only excuse is I've been sick this week. Sorry about that.

Love your self interview! I need to get better about spending more time writing and less time promoting. Wishing you much success in your career!

~Sarah

Kathryn Meyer Griffith said...

Nice post, Rachel. How did you get an agent? Is it a UK agent? Warmly, Kathryn Meyer Griffith rdgriff@htc.net

Rachel Brimble said...

Sorry to hear you've been unwell, Sarah - sending lots of hugs and hot lemon across the pond!

Hi, Kathryn, I hope when you're asking me how i got an agent, it's not in disbelief, lol!! Only joking.

My agent is actually a US agent (Blue Ridge Literary Agency) and I followed the usual query and wait routine. She is truly fabulous. I am a very happy girl!

R x