April 2, 2010

Spotlight On... Dawn Brown

Please help me in welcoming author Dawn Brown to the keyboard today. Welcome Dawn. Can you tell us a little about yourself?

Thanks, I’m excited to be here.

I’m a romantic suspense writer, spending my days toiling away in the attic with only a very old, but affectionate, cat for company. I’m married with a nine-year-old son and a dog that tries to be good, but can’t always help himself. My house is over one hundred years old, and always seems to be in a state of minor renovation.


How did you start writing?

When I was about ten, I would gather the neighborhood kids together and tell them ghost stories in my family’s garage. As I grew older, and the stories more complicated, I began writing them down. I continued to write, but never really finished any of the longer projects. When my son was born, I decided to get serious about writing a book. I had always wanted to and this seemed like the ideal opportunity. (I was very fortunate. My son was an eat and sleep baby.) I finished my first book, a horribly written sci-fi romance, a few months later. It was terrible and lives in a drawer never to be seen by human eyes again, but after that I knew I could finish something. So I started my next book, LIVING LIES.


How many books have you published? Tell us about them.

I have two novels published.

My most recent release is THE CURSE OF CULCRAIG, available from The Wild Rose Press.

After a devastating personal tragedy, history professor Hillary Bennett seeks refuge in the quaint Scottish village of Culcraig, hoping to research a legend and salvage her career. Instead, she finds her hostess dead, and her hopes for the future pinned to the woman’s black sheep heir.

The last thing Caid Douglas needs is a decrepit manor house to remind him of his estranged family, but he does need the money selling the house would bring to pay off his debts. In desperation he offers to honor his great aunt’s arrangement with Hillary—if she pays him to stay at Glendon House and view his ancestor’s journals, he’ll have the money to fix up the family mausoleum and sell it.

But an ancient curse hovers over the village, and the secret to lifting it lies in the journals. Will Caid and Hillary realize what they have and uncover the truth before a twisted killer silences them forever?


Read an Excerpt


My first book, LIVING LIES, is available from Samhain Publishing.

Doing whatever it takes could get them both killed.

Twelve years after her sister’s disappearance, Haley Carling spends her days trying to hold what’s left of her family together, running her late father’s shop and caring for her alcoholic mother. Then her sister’s remains are uncovered in the basement of their old home, and fingers start pointing. At the Carlings.

Dean Lawson, long the prime suspect in the Carling girl’s disappearance, is sure he’s got evidence proving who the killer is. He’s determined to clear his name, and he won’t let anything stand in his way. Not even his lingering attraction to Haley.

Haley is just as determined to protect her family from the former town bad boy’s accusations. But now someone is stalking her, and Haley realizes Dean’s the only one she can trust.


With a killer closing in, Dean wonders if he’s made the biggest mistake of his life…a mistake that could cost Haley her life.

What is it about the romance genre that appeals to you?

I love watching the relationship between two characters grow from that initial spark into something meaningful. It’s so much fun to write.

What writers have influenced you the most?

When I was twelve, I read Phyllis A. Whitney’s, Dream of Orchids, and loved the mix of mystery and romance. When I finished reading the book, I remember thinking, “This is the kind of story I want to write.”

What are you passionate about?

I’m not really a hobby person. When I’m not writing, I like to spend time with family and friends, or read.

How do you think being a published author has changed you?

After I published my first book, I learned that there was a lot of promotion and networking that went along with that. I’ve had to become much better managing my time so that I’m able to still give the actual writing the time it needs as well as the promotional work.

What has been your highlight of your career to this point?

The first time I see my book in print is always exciting. There’s a real thrill that comes from holding the final product in my hand, and thinking back to that first spark of an idea. It’s a sort of full circle moment.

What's next for you?

I just finished a book called Blood and Bone about a crime writer who discovers there’s much more than meets the eye while researching her latest story.

I’m also starting work on a romantic mystery with strong paranormal elements that I think will arc into two books. I’m really excited about this project.

Where can we find you on the web?

http://www.dawnbrown.org/
http://dawnbrown.org/blog/
http://twitter.com/DawnBrown1
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dawn-Brown-Romantic-Suspense/215586033827?ref=ts

Is there anything you’d like to ask our readers?

I was given a Sony E-Reader this past Christmas, and I love it. But I’m interested in how readers feel about e-readers? Is there an appeal? Why or why not?

Readers, don't forget to help Dawn out by sharing your thoughts.
Dawn, thanks for visiting with us.



3 comments:

Jerri said...

Great interview, Dawn. Best of luck with your new projects.

Roni Loren said...

Great interview! And to answer Dawn's question: I have a kindle and love it. I never thought I would be able to enjoy the electronic book as much as a paper book, but I really do. The convenience of being able to have all my books with me and download things in 60 seconds is pretty awesome.

Good luck with your new project!

DawnB said...

Thanks for having me Sarah!

Thanks, Jerri. I'm really excited about what I'm working on right now.

I felt the same way, Roni. I love books, and didn't think I would like the e-reader as much as I do.